Monday, January 14, 2008

In Iowa, some voters hope for Clinton and Obama together

In "Dreamers see Clinton-Obama ticket" (July 2007), the Rocky Mountain News lets voters express their frustration at having to choose between Clinton and Obama. One voter:

"I'm really torn between Obama and Hillary," said John Christenson, 70, a retired library director who caught Clinton's midday rally at the University of Iowa in Iowa City. "I've heard both of them talk, and I haven't disagreed with a thing anyone said."

"I'd rather see some collaboration," said Ryan O'Leary, 30, of -Iowa City. "I do care, because I think both of them have the ability to inspire people."


And another voter:

Why not put them on the same ticket, said Evelyn Buddin, 87, of -Iowa City,sitting in the shade as the Clinton event was clearing out.

Buddin was born in 1920, the same year women were able to vote in national elections for the first time. She has been hoping for a female president since the 1950s. She's rooting for Clinton. But she doesn't see why she and Obama couldn't be on the same ticket.

"Each one would have to give a little," Buddin said. "I think they can work it out."